PAGES

Cherish the Moment

Thursday, January 23, 2014

It's the little things. The little things in life that you rush through and don't take the time to think about how truly special they really are.  I am constantly in a rush. Typically, one of the twins is always needing something; therefore, I don't ever get to just sit and enjoy the moment. Tonight, I did. My husband always helps put Olivia and Cole to bed. He puts one to sleep and I put the other to sleep.  Usually, I am so ready to have "me time" that I rush through the bedtime routine. Tonight was different, tonight I felt a since of calmness surround me. Bryce was trying to find his birth certificate for his passport (we're going to the Dominican Republic in April!) and Olivia woke up. I was in the midst of writing this blog post (which was going to be on a completely different topic an hour ago).  I picked her up and just rocked her. I didn't think she would actually fall asleep because she usually wants more formula, but she did. I sat there and rocked, just staring at sleeping beauty. I thought about how I need to slow down and enjoy the little things more often. Babies don't stay babies forever  and I need to savor every minute of every day. Yes, it is true, I rarely have a minute to myself all day until both kids are asleep, but that in itself won't last forever. I need to realize I will never get these days back.  Even if we have another baby, it won't be twins and it will be a completely different scenario. The doctor told us that twins are 1 in 70 births and it is a complete blessing that I want and need to take more time to enjoy. Yesterday, Olivia, Cole and I went to our friends house to meet her new baby girl. Olivia and Cole both started pitching fits and crying. My friend, Megan, took a video of it and all she could do was laugh. Laugh. That's what I need to do in those situations instead of stressing out because I was trying to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that should take one minute, but it took me twenty. The thing that I loved more than anything in this situation was that as soon as I picked both of them up and placed each of them on my lap, they stopped crying immediately. I loved that. I loved that they both just wanted me. 


This was a pretty sappy blog post and I'm by no means a sappy person, but watching a baby sleep soundly in your arms does something to you. Their innocence maybe? I don't know, but what I do know is that I am going to start taking a breath and reminding myself that these moments won't last forever and to take it all in.


Jess, over at www.sadieskyboutique.com teamed up with another blogger to start a campaign about "It's the Little Things Link Up". They want everyone to talk about their little things in life and also use #littlethingslinkup on Instagram when taking pictures so we can all remember that life isn't about rushing, it's about taking small things and reminding yourself that they are important. 


5 comments:

  1. Rachel, just found your blog through this link-up & LOVE your post! Ironic, my post for next Wednesday is so similar, I also was rushing through bedtime routines and have made it a point lately to SAVOR the moment! Thank you so much for being a part of this, I look forward to following along with you!!!!!!! XO

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you found my blog! When I have time I will check out your blog as well! Hope you enjoy!!

      Delete
  2. This post is my favorite. Great reminder! Having a 5 month old, a wild 3 yr old and working full time, I get wrapped up in the rush as well. Thanks for the breath of fresh air! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you enjoyed!! Kids are hard work but 100% worth every second.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this, Rachel! Seriously....it's exactly how I feel! I'm so happy you are joining us and linking up! Next week when the linkup goes live, there will be a spot at the bottom of mine and Ashley's posts where you can enter in your name, email, the URL of your post for that week and then also select thumbnail pic that will show for all to see. Once everyone starts linking up, then all we have to do is click on all of the photos to be taken to all of the different posts....it's an easy way to hop around and meet new bloggers and read their stories. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design